Chocolate Gingerbread Boys and Girls
- A classic gets a chocolate twist in these chocolate gingerbread cookies. Fun to make and eat!
- ●2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided
- ●2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ●1 teaspoon baking soda
- ●1/2 teaspoon salt
- ●1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ●1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ●3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- ●3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ●1/2 cup molasses
- ●1/4 cup water
- ●1 container (16 ounces) prepared vanilla frosting, colored as desired, or colored icing in tubes
Microwave 1 1/2 cups morsels in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon in medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in small mixer bowl until creamy; beat in molasses and melted chocolate. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with water, beating until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Roll half of dough to ¼-inch thickness on floured surface with floured rolling pin. Cut dough into gingerbread boy and girl shapes using cookie cutters or a stencil. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are set but centers are still slightly soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Place remaining morsels in heavy-duty plastic bag. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 30 to 45 seconds; knead. Microwave for 10 seconds; knead until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to pipe chocolate. Decorate cookies with piped chocolate and prepared frosting or icing.
You May Also Like
Everybody Needs a Little Inspiration
Don't miss irresistible recipes, exciting news and sweet surprises.