The Ultimate NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Chocolate Cake
- Passionate about chocolate? If so, you’re sure to savor this sinfully moist, fudgy cake covered in an indulgently rich chocolate frosting. Dark Chocolate Morsels and some strong coffee are needed for this recipe. We think it might just be the ultimate dark chocolate layer cake.
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Morsels 10 oz
NET WT 10 OZ (283 g)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong NESCAFÉ® Coffee
- 2 2/3 cups (16 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Morsels, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease two 8-inch-round cake pans. Line bottoms with wax paper.
Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, flour, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Bring coffee to simmer in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup morsels; whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool slightly.
Whisk vegetable oil, sour cream, eggs and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract in another large bowl to blend. Add chocolate-coffee mixture; whisk to blend well. Add one-third of chocolate-sour cream mixture to dry ingredients; whisk to blend well. Add remaining chocolate-sour cream mixture in 2 more additions, whisking well after each addition. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. (Batter will be thin.)
Bake for 33 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of cakes. Invert onto wire racks; remove wax paper. Cool completely.
Bring cream, butter, 3 tablespoons sugar, water and 1/8 teaspoon salt to simmer in medium, heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Immediately add remaining 1 2/3 cups morsels; let stand for 2 minutes. Whisk until melted and smooth. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours or until thick enough to spread.
Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store any leftover cake in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.