Opens in a new window
Red Velvet Cupidcakes
Red Velvet Cupidcakes
Topped with colorful candy sprinkles, each cupcake features red velvet cake beneath a layer of kissable cream cheese frosting. These luscious cupcakes will satisfy every generation of your family on Valentine's Day or any other day of the year.
- ●2/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Morsels
- ●1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ●1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ●1/2 teaspoon salt
- ●3/4 cup milk
- ●1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ●1 cup granulated sugar
- ●1/2 cup vegetable oil
- ●3 large eggs
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- ●1 tablespoon red food coloring
- ●1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ●2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ●2 tablespoons milk
- ●3 cups powdered sugar
- ●Assorted sprinkles (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º F. Paper-line 18 muffin cups.
Microwave chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Combine 3/4 cup milk and vinegar in small glass measure. Beat granulated sugar, oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in large mixer bowl on high for 2 minutes. Carefully beat in melted chocolate and red food coloring. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
Bake for 22 to 27 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in medium mixer bowl until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
Frost cupcakes with frosting. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
• You may substitute store bought cream cheese frosting (one 16-oz. container) to save time. • Frosting can be piped on with a pastry bag for a professional look.