Mocha Dream Cake
Mocha Dream Cake
Makes 10 to 12 servings
A finalist in the 2001 Nestlé Toll House 'Share the Very Best' recipe contest, this dessert was submitted by Jennifer Lee Kalos of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. Created in honor of her father's birthday, this delicious chocolate- and coffee-flavored cake and sweet, creamy mocha frosting is perfect for every family's celebrations.
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ●1 1/2 cups hot water
- ●2 tablespoons NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE House Blend 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules, divided
- ●1 cup COFFEE-MATE® Original Flavor Powdered Coffee Creamer
- ●2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- ●2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels, divided
- ●1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ●1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- ●4 large eggs
- ●2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ●2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ●1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ●2/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- ●1/3 cup butter or margarine
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons water
- ●2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ●4 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-round cake pans.
Combine 1 1/2 cups water and 1 tablespoon Taster’s Choice in medium bowl. Stir in Coffee-mate Original Flavor Powder with wire whisk. Combine 1 2/3 cups flour and baking soda in another medium bowl. Microwave 1 1/3 cups morsels and vegetable oil in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Add coffee mixture, granulated sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, vinegar and vanilla extract to melted morsels; mix with wire whisk. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined. (Batter will be thin.) Pour 3 1/4 cups batter into medium bowl; stir in remaining 2/3 cup flour. Pour into prepared pans.
Blend cocoa into remaining batter with wire whisk until blended. Slowly pour even amounts of cocoa batter into the center of each pan. (Cocoa batter will spread evenly outward from center.)
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cake with frosting between layers and on top and side of cake.
Microwave remaining 2/3 cup morsels and butter in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Combine remaining tablespoon Taster’s Choice and 1 1/2 teaspoons water in small bowl. Beat cream cheese and coffee mixture into melted morsels. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Frost cake with frosting between layers and on top and side of cake.