French Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- A light and creamy glaze adorns this luscious French Chocolate Hazelnut Cake. Ground nuts replace quite a bit of the flour in this sinful confection.
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 12 oz
NET WT 12 oz (340 g)
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for coating pan
- 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur or milk
- 2/3 cup ground toasted hazelnuts or almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 9-inch springform pan.
Microwave 1 cup morsels in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
Beat 3/4 cup sugar, 2/3 cup butter, vanilla extract and salt in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in melted chocolate and egg yolks. Add flour and liqueur; beat until smooth. Stir in hazelnuts. Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate batter. Spread into prepared springform pan.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out still slightly moist. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Loosen and remove side of pan. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely.
Heat 3 tablespoons butter, corn syrup and water in small, heavy-duty saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Add remaining morsels; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
Pour 3 tablespoons glaze into small, heavy-duty plastic bag. Pour remaining glaze over cake; spread over top and sides. Allow to set for a few minutes. Cut tiny corner from bag; pipe reserved glaze over cake.