36 slices total (2 braids)
- This Chocolate-Filled Braid is a perfect pair with steaming hot coffee. This attractive and wonderfully tasty recipe is perfect for brunch. Created by Kimberly Betz, Indiana, PA.
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 12 oz
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 2/3 cup (5-fluid ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active-dry or fast-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk (just enough for drizzling consistency)
Heat morsels, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in small saucepan until morsels are melted and mixture is smooth; remove from heat. Stir in nuts, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and cinnamon.
Combine 4 cups flour, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, yeast and salt in large mixer bowl.
Heat 1 cup milk, 1 cup butter and water just until warm (120° F to 130° F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of remaining flour as possible.
Turn dough out onto slightly floured surface. Knead in remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line two baking sheets with foil.
Divide dough in half. Roll half of dough into 18 x 10-inch rectangle. Place dough on one prepared baking sheet. Spread half of chocolate filling lengthwise down center of dough. Cut 1-inch wide diagonal strips on both sides of dough to within 3/4 inch of filling. Crisscross dough strips over filling. Leave as long braid or bring ends together to form a ring, pinching ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover; let rise in warm place for 15 minutes.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown; cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack.
Combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter and remaining teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl. Slowly add enough milk for drizzling consistency; stir. Drizzle icing over braids. Cut into slices.