Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
- Introduce chocolate chips to your shortcakes and you have a delicious variation on this summertime favorite.
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 12 oz
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter, cut up
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 container (12 ounces) frozen lite whipped topping, thawed
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease baking sheets.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in morsels. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until moistened. Knead 2 or 3 times on floured surface. Pat to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into sixteen 2 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch diamonds; place on prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Cut one shortcake in half horizontally. Spread bottom half with whipped topping; top with strawberries. Cover with shortcake top; layer with more whipped topping and strawberries. Repeat with remaining shortcakes. Serve immediately.