Southern Style Shrimp & Grits *Lactose Free
Lactose Free Milks
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Lactose-Free Evaporated Milk 11 oz
NET 11 fl oz (325 mL)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Lactose-Free Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 cups cooked grits, kept warm
Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat.
Add celery, green pepper, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in flour. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, water and tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil.
Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens. Stir in shrimp, parsley, seasoning, salt and hot pepper sauce. Cook until heated through.
Serve over warm grits.