Rich and Zesty Tamale Pie
- Rich and Zesty Tamale Pie is a delicious dish to serve and enjoy family-style when you want the taste of tamales but prefer the ease of a casserole. Made with yellow or white corn meal, sliced ripe olives and diced green chiles, tamale pie is a Southwestern favorite.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 1/4 cups yellow corn meal
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Pickled jalapeños (optional)
Preheat oven to 425° F. Grease 12 x 8-inch baking dish.
Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn, olives and 1 teaspoon salt.
Combine corn meal, water, evaporated milk and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick. Stir in chiles. Reserve 2 cups corn meal mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Spread remaining corn meal mixture on bottom and up sides of prepared baking dish.
Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Spoon meat filling into corn meal crust. Spread reserved corn meal mixture over meat filling.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes; sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with pickled jalapeños.