- This old-fashioned favorite, scalloped potatoes, is rich and aromatic with the combination of fresh boiled potatoes, evaporated milk and grated Parmesan cheese plus a dash of ground black pepper. This is a crowd pleasing recipe! Add chopped ham, red bell pepper and/or diced green chiles to create a new variation on this classic.
- ●2 pounds (about 6 medium) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ●3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ●1/4 cup chopped onion
- ●3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ●1 teaspoon salt
- ●1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ●1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ●1 cup water
- ●1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
Place potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes; drain. Set aside.
Heat butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish; pour milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is light golden brown.