Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread
10 servings (one 8 x 4-inch loaf)
- This lemony fresh, delicious quick bread was inspired by one of our own Very Best Bakers, Brenda Washburn of Enid, Oklahoma. Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread is perfect anytime of the day and may be used as a dessert or snack! The Lemon Syrup can be made while the bread is baking, making this an easy-to-bake treat that is sure to be a favorite!
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 8 x 4-inch baking pan.
Zest lemon into a small bowl, to yield 1 1/2 teaspoons of zest. Set aside. In another small bowl, cut lemon in half and squeeze to yield 1/4 cup juice. Set aside. Discard remaining parts of lemon.
Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Beat eggs, evaporated milk, oil and lemon zest together in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
Just before bread comes out of oven: Combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice in small heavy duty saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and a light syrup is formed.
Using a wooden skewer, poke numerous holes in the hot bread, piercing all the way to the bottom. Slowly drizzle the hot lemon syrup over the bread (syrup will soak into the bread). Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes; run knife around edge of bread. Remove bread to wire rack to cool completely.