Pies & Tarts
- Make it a fiesta with this party-perfect margarita pie. Flavored with fresh limes and oranges (and an added kick of optional tequila), this refreshingly sweet filling is complemented by a salty pretzel crust.
- ●1 cup crushed mini pretzels
- ●6 tablespoons melted butter
- ●1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- ●1 envelope (7 grams) unflavored gelatin
- ●2 tablespoons boiling water
- ●1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- ●2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- ●1/2 cup (4 to 5 medium limes) lime juice
- ●1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- ●2 tablespoons orange juice or orange-flavored liqueur
- ●1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
- ●2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- ●Coarse sanding sugar, fresh limes slices
Preheat oven to 375° F. Combine pretzel crumbs, butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of pie plate.
Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.
Place gelatin in small bowl; stir in water. Let stand for 1 minute. Heat evaporated milk, remaining 1 cup sugar and softened gelatin in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot (do not boil). Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes until cool to touch. Add lime peel, lime juice, orange peel, orange juice and tequila; mix well. Gently whisk in 1 cup whipped topping. Pour into prepared pie crust.
Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Pipe remaining 1 cup whipped topping around edge of pie. Sprinkle whipped topping border with coarse sugar. Garnish with lime slices.