Fruited Grits Dessert Bread with Orange Syrup
- Fruited Grits Dessert Bread with Orange Syrup is a twist on a popular South American dessert. This scrumptious dessert is traditionally prepared with wheat. However, given that corn is a staple throughout this continent, it is not unusual to find this variation prepared with a coarse ground corn (grits). Laced with dried fruit and nuts, this bread is so moist it’s sometimes called a “pudding” in South America, yet is firm enough to cut into slices for serving. The orange syrup drizzled over each slice adds a flavorful touch to this memorable dessert.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, soaked in 1/4 cup orange liqueur or juice for several hours
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 1/4 cups quick grits
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or any favorite nut
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 large eggs at room temperature, separated
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or juice
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or dish.
Heat evaporated milk and 1 cup water in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in grits. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, nuts, fruit with liqueur and orange peel. Cool for 20 minutes.
Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Stir in yolks into grits mixture. Fold egg whites into grits mixture. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; remove to wire rack or serving platter.
Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups water and remaining 1 cup sugar in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and maintain it, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in orange liqueur. Makes about 1 2/3 cups. Serve dessert bread warm with Orange Syrup.