Cheesy Spoon Bread
- Delicious Cheesy Spoon Bread is a pudding-like casserole made with dry milk and corn meal. This can be served as a main dish or as a side dish.
- 3/4 cup dry NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
Combine dry milk and corn meal in large saucepan. Stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, egg yolks, margarine and baking powder.
Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into corn meal mixture lightly but thoroughly. Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden and filling is set. Serve warm.