Atole - Mexican Milk Beverage
- Atole is the historic name in Mexico for this delicious and popular beverage. Made with masa harina, evaporated milk and sweetened with sugar, this rich and satisfying drink is flavored with vanilla and cinnamon.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 4 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup masa harina (Mexican corn masa mix)
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
Place 3 cups water and masa harina in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour through fine mesh sieve into medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Discard solids. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently with wire whisk, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
Stir in evaporated milk, remaining water, sugar, vanilla extract and 3 cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove cinnamon sticks. Serve warm sprinkled with ground cinnamon.