Pies & Tarts
“Toasted” Coconut Custard Pie
- “Toasted” Coconut Custard Pie is simply sophisticated and an elegant choice for entertaining. Your party guests will be enchanted.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, divided
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 prebaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
Heat 1 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup coconut and sugar in medium, heavy-duty saucepan over medium-high heat until simmering. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
Whisk remaining evaporated milk, egg yolks, cornstarch and salt in small bowl until blended. Gradually whisk egg mixture into coconut mixture in saucepan. Return saucepan to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until cool to the touch. Gently stir in 1 cup whipped topping; spoon into prepared crust.
Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Spread remaining cup whipped topping over center of filling. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut.