South American Sandwich Cookies (Alfajores)
- Alfajores are a favorite treat of sweet manjar or dulce de leche (caramelized milk) sandwiched between buttery shortbread cookies. These originated in Andalucia, Spain during the Moorish Conquest of the Iberian Peninsula, and have many cousins in Latin America, especially Uruguay, Ecuador, Peru and Argentina. The rich buttery dough varies from country to country, made with just all-purpose flour, a mixture of flour and corn starch or yucca flour. Roll them in coconut, nuts or cocoa for an afternoon tea, special dessert or anytime snack. Be prepared to spend some time in the kitchen making this sweet treat you will love!
Sweetened Condensed Milk
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz
- 1 can (14 ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 strip of lime peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- Powdered sugar
- Finely shredded coconut, ground nuts or cocoa powder (optional)
Pour 1 can (14 ounces) CARNATION Sweetened Condensed Milk into top of double-boiler pan. Add lime peel and cinnamon stick. Place over boiling water. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours, or until thick and caramel colored. (Some additional water will be needed for bottom pan of double boiler). Remove from heat; remove lime peel and cinnamon stick.
Sift cornstarch, flour and baking powder together into medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl on medium speed until creamy. Add yolks; mix well. Add lemon zest and brandy. With wooden spoon, mix cornstarch mixture into butter mixture to make a soft dough. If it is too soft (should not be runny), add some additional flour. With floured hands, form dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease large baking sheets.
Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into at least 34, 2-inch circles. Some rerolling will be necessary. Place circles on prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes or until set. They should not brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Spread about 2 teaspoons Caramelized Milk to flat side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches. If desired, allow some of the Caramelized Milk filling to squeeze from the sides or spread more around the sides to roll in coconut, nuts or cocoa. Sprinkle tops and bottoms with sifted powdered sugar. These cookies will keep in the refrigerator for several days or up to 3 months in the freezer.