Juana's Yucca Casserole
- This recipe inspired by our Circle of Friends member, Juana from the Dominican Republic, is a traditional side dish that is easy to prepare for everyday meals yet special enough to serve when entertaining. Mashed yucca and potatoes are enriched with egg yolk and evaporated milk, lightened with beaten egg white and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese before baking.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 2 pounds frozen yucca or fresh, peeled and cubed (make sure stringy cores in centers are removed)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounces can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese or Gruyère cheese
Place yucca and potato in large saucepan. Cover with water and 1 tablespoon salt; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until yucca and potatoes are tender; drain.
Preheat oven to 325º F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Return yucca and potatoes to saucepan. Add evaporated milk, butter, 1 teaspoon salt and white pepper. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Stir in lightly beaten egg yolk.
Beat egg white in small bowl until soft peaks form. Fold whites into potato mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot.