Opens in a new window
12 servings (1 1/2 cups)
- Traditionally served with fried fish, this classic Puerto Rican tomato sauce is delicious served alongside a variety of seafood dishes, including Crab Meat Piononos (recipe found on this site). Keep olives, capers, and pimentos on hand in your pantry so you can prepare this easy sauce often.
- ●1 cup (8-ounce can) tomato sauce
- ●1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
- ●1/4 cup canned or jarred pimento, cut in thin strips
- ●2 tablespoons olive oil
- ●1 tablespoon sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- ●2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ●1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ●2 teaspoons capers
- ●1 bay leaf
- ●Ground black pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with pepper.
Serve with Crab Meat Piononos (recipe found on this site), fish or shellfish. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.