Horchata: Traditional Latin Beverage
- The creamy touch of the evaporated milk, together with the combination of rice and cinnamon, give this Horchata, a traditional Latin beverage, a unique flavor and texture. It makes a refreshing and nutritious snack for you and your kids.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed, drained
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Ice cubes
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Lime rind strips (optional)
Combine rice, cinnamon stick and water in large bowl; cool. Cover; refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
Remove cinnamon stick. Spoon rice into blender container (reserve soaking water). Cover; blend on High for 3 to 4 minutes until mixture is as smooth as possible. Add the reserved soaking water and sugar; blend for an additional 2 minutes. Strain mixture through a cheesecloth or fine sieve into a pitcher, pressing the rice solids until only a dry paste remains; discard paste. Stir evaporated milk into the mixture.
To Serve: Pour into tall glasses with ice cubes; sweeten with additional sugar, if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with lime rind.