Fish Baked In Creamy Milk Sauce with Onions & Herbs
Tender fish fillets seasoned with herbs are topped with sautéed onions and baked in a light, velvety creamy milk sauce in this classic dish from Colombia's Pacific coast. Thyme, basil and anise give the sauce excellent flavor and will be a recipe you'll want to try again and again.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced into thick rings
- 1 pound white fish of choice, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender and golden brown. Remove from skillet; set aside.
Season fish with salt and pepper. Add remaining oil to same skillet and cook fish until browned on both sides. Remove from heat. Place fish in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme, basil and anise. Top with reserved onion rings. Combine milk and water in small glass measure; pour over fish. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper.
Bake for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.