Soups & Salads
Creamy Beet & Potato Salad
12 servings, 2/3 cup each
One look at this rosy colored Creamy Beet & Potato Salad and you’ll know why it’s served at Christmastime in Panama. Cut potatoes and beets along with hard-cooked eggs are blended with a creamy, tangy dressing. While perfect for the holidays, this salad would also be a delicious addition to a summer picnic as a more interesting version of potato salad. To keep your fingers and cutting board from being stained pink, use food-safe plastic gloves when handling the beets and dice them on a glass or porcelain plate.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 3 pounds (about 6 small) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole beets in juice, drained and cut into 3/4-inch pieces*
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, cut into quarters or smaller pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounces can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Place potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are just fork tender; drain.
Place potatoes, beets and eggs in large bowl. Combine onion, celery, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Gently fold dressing mixture into potato mixture. Store covered in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight; stir occasionally. (The salad will become a deeper rose color as it sits!)
For Milk Chocolate Fudge
Substitute 1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.