Soups & Salads
Cream of Broccoli Soup
9 servings, 1 cup each
- The homemade goodness of this Cream of Broccoli Soup will satisfy any appetite.
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 9 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Boil broth in large saucepan. Add broccoli, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Transfer half of vegetable-broth mixture to blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary); cover. Blend until desired consistency. Return to remaining mixture in saucepan.
Combine dry milk, water and flour in medium bowl; mix well. Stir into soup; add salt and pepper. Heat to serving temperature.
For Broccoli Cheese Soup: Prepare Cream of Broccoli Soup and add 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese. Stir over low heat until melted.
For Freeze Ahead: Prepare as above. Cool soup completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Heat in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.