Crab Meat Piononos
6 servings (2 piononos each)
- Originally a cream-filled cake, piononos were named after Pope Pius IX or “Pio Nono” because he loved this confection. Italian immigrants brought different versions to Latin America, such as this savory Puerto Rican one that incorporates two island staples—plantains and seafood. Peppers, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice add depth of flavor to the creamy filling. They are also delicious filled with picadillo (ground beef hash). Serve them as appetizers or for lunch, brunch, or a light supper with Island Mojo. (recipe found on this site)
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 4 very ripe plantains, each cut lengthwise into 3, 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices, cooked (fried in oil or baked in microwave*) until tender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 sweet ají peppers, finely chopped or 1/4 cup cubanelle pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 1/2 cups cooked crab meat, chopped shrimp or flaked fish
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste (optional)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Cooked white rice
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
Place plantain slice in each cup, bending slice to line edge of cup. Repeat with others. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, ají peppers, onion and garlic, stir occasionally, until onion is tender. Add bouillon, cilantro, lime juice, tomato and crabmeat. Mix well; remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper and salt, if desired.
Divide crab meat mixture evenly in the center of each muffin cup lined with plantains. Combine eggs and evaporated milk in small glass measure. Pour milk mixture in each muffin cup (use fork to make room for milk in mold).
Bake for about 25 minutes or until set. Serve warm alone or accompanied with Island Mojo (recipe found on this site) and white rice.
Note: The ripe plantains can be prepared in the microwave: Cut the ends and make an incision in the peel. Wrap in paper towels. Cook one plantain on HIGH (100%) power for 3 minutes, or cook two for 5 minutes.
For Milk Chocolate Fudge
Substitute 1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.