Puddings & Flans
Corn and Lima Bean Pudding
12 to 14 side-dish servings
- This delicious Corn and Lima Bean Pudding, casserole has vegetables baked in a nutmeg-scented egg custard is a Brazilian favorite. In a country where meat dishes are prevalent, this vegetarian dish was popular among Jewish immigrants in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. It allowed them to dine with Catholic friends and maintain their kosher diet without drawing attention to their religious beliefs. For a touch of spicy heat, add some finely chopped malagueta pepper, the most widely used hot chile in Brazil, or your favorite chile pepper to the skillet with the onion and bell pepper.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk 12 oz
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen lima beans, thawed, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed, drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease 11 x 7-inch baking dish or 1 1/2- to 2-quart casserole dish.
Combine flour, sugar, salt, black pepper and nutmeg in small bowl. Combine lima beans, corn and eggs in medium bowl.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add flour mixture; stir well. Stir in evaporated milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in vegetable-egg mixture. Pour into prepared casserole. Place casserole in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with warm water to about 1-inch depth.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from water. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.