Soups & Salads
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- This hearty chicken and wild rice soup is a wonderful addition to your dinner any time of the year.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1 box (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (about 8 ounces total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cups (1 medium) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 3/4 cups (two 14 1/2-ounce cans) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Green onions and toasted slivered almonds (optional)
Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
Add rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine small amount of evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to saucepan with remaining evaporated milk and wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until soup is thickened. Garnish with green onions and almonds.
* Note: For a lower-fat version of this recipe, substitute NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Lowfat Milk for Evaporated Milk.