Caruso Sauce with Pasta
- Caruso Sauce with Pasta originated in Uruguay to honor the famous Italian tenor, Enrico Caruso. Over time, this creamy pasta sauce spread throughout South America and eventually to Europe. Enriched with cheese, ham, and mushrooms, and delicately seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg, Caruso sauce is usually served over cappellini or tortellini. It tastes just as delicious served over spaghetti!
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 pound dry spaghetti, cooked, drained and held warm
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) or about 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) chopped ham (can use smoked)
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 MAGGI Beef Flavor Bouillon Cube, crushed, dissolved in 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Emmental (Swiss), Gruyère or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in medium saucepan. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender and golden. Add ham; stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in large saucepan or skillet. Add flour, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown in color. With wire whisk, slowly add evaporated milk and warm beef broth, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth and slightly thickened (mixture coats back of spoon). Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Stir in pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, reserved mushroom mixture and nuts.
Pour sauce over hot pasta. Sprinkle with parsley.