Nutty Nougat Caramel Bites
This Nutty Nougat Caramel Bites recipe was a finalist winner of the Nestlé Toll House “Share the Very Best” recipe contest, this dessert was created by Diane Bartels of Greensburg, Pennsylvania. Have you ever made your own nougat? If not, here's a great first-try recipe!
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Artificially Flavored Morsels 11 oz
NET WT 11 oz (311 g)
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 package (about 3.4 ounces) butterscotch-flavored instant pudding mix
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 2/3 cups NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Flavored Morsels, divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 17 x 11 x 1-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat 1 cup butter, brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add pudding mix, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in 1 1/3 cups butterscotch morsels. Spread and pat dough evenly into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Carefully hold pan 2 to 3-inches above a heat-resistant surface and allow pan to drop. (This creates a chewier cookie base.) Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
Melt 1/4 cup butter in medium, heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 1 cup granulated sugar and evaporated milk; stir. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in marshmallow creme, 1/4 cup peanut butter and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add peanuts; stir well. Spread nougat mixture over cookie base. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
Combine caramels and cream in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Spread caramel mixture over nougat layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
Melt milk chocolate morsels, remaining 1/3 cup butterscotch morsels and remaining 1/4 cup peanut butter in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted. Spread icing over caramel layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
To serve, let stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into pieces. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.