Chocolate Bacon Banana Strudel
Makes 8 servings
- This recipe was inspired by an idea submitted by Mariah Scott, the winner of the Remix the Original contest. It combines sweet chocolate and bananas with savory bacon and peanut butter for a perfectly balanced treat!
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 6 oz
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1/2 banana
- 3 pieces bacon, well cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup OR honey
- 8 sheets store-bought phyllo dough, thawed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking tray with parchment or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
Chop banana into pea-sized pieces. Place in medium bowl.
Add bacon pieces, 1/4 cup morsels, peanut butter and maple syrup/honey. Stir to combine. Set filling aside.
On a clean and dry work surface, unroll phyllo dough and place on a piece of parchment, with the long side facing you.
Place one sheet of phyllo in front of you and using a pastry brush, brush the sheet with a thin layer of butter, and then sprinkle sheet with 2-3 pinches of granulated sugar. Place another sheet of phyllo dough on top of the first one and repeat the butter and sugar steps.
Repeat with two more sheets of phyllo, until you have 4 sheets on top of each other. Using a pizza wheel or knife and a ruler, cut the layered phyllo into 4 strips, each 3 inches wide each. Use the long side of the dough as your guide for cutting. The long side is typically 12 inches long.
Place 1 tablespoon of the banana filling 2 inches below the center line of the dough on each of the 4 dough strips. Starting at the bottom of the dough strips, closest to you, roll the 4 strips into logs, one at a time, being careful not to let the filling spill out. Using care, place strudels onto a parchment lined sheet tray.
Repeat this entire process 1 more time, to create 8 strudels in total. Brush the tops of the strudels with the remaining butter and sprinkle tops with additional sugar. Let strudels chill in the refrigerator to firm at least 10 minutes prior to baking.
Bake strudels approximately 20-25 minutes, until phyllo is golden brown and cooked through. Remove baking tray to cooling rack and let strudels cool 8-10 minutes prior to serving.
Combine evaporated milk and 1 cup morsels in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until morsels are melted. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
Serve sauce warm with strudels. Store remaining sauce tightly covered in refrigerator.