Whole-Grain Pie Crust
8 servings per 9-inch crust
Made with whole-wheat graham cracker crumbs and whole-wheat flour, this is a delicious and nutritious alternative to your regular piecrust. It was featured in Superfoods Rx by Dr. Steven Pratt and Kathy Matthews. Combine it with the Lighter LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Pie recipe on this site to add a healthy crust.
- 1 cup whole-wheat graham cracker crumbs (from 8 graham cracker squares)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons canola or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or ground pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg (with high omega-3 content, as noted on label), lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 9-inch pie plate.
Combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, oil, brown sugar, flaxseed, wheat germ, zest and ginger in medium bowl. Add egg; stir until moistened. Gently press mixture onto bottom of plate and up the sides.
Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.