Whole-Grain Pie Crust
- A quick, and healthy, crust for all of your pies - no matter the occasion. This whole-grain crust will add texture and color to your favorite pies without losing the taste you love.
- ●3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- ●1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, finely ground
- ●2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ●1/2 teaspoon salt
- ●1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ●2 to 3 tablespoons very cold water
Combine flour, ground oats, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with water; blend together with a fork until mixture holds together.
Shape dough into ball; place on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn edge under; crimp as desired.
• Substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for a finer textured, flakier pie crust. • Oats can be finely ground in a food processor or blender. •This whole-grain pie crust is great with LIBBY'S® Famous or Lighter LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Pie filling found on VeryBestBaking.com. No need to prebake the crust. Just substitute this crust for the deep-dish pie shell called for in the recipe. Follow the temperatures and bake times stated in the recipe. •To make two crusts, double all ingredients, follow procedure above and divide dough in half. •If a prebaked crust is needed for your recipe, preheat oven to 400º F. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
Everybody Needs a Little Inspiration
Don't miss irresistible recipes, exciting news and sweet surprises.