Whole-Grain Pie Crust
8 servings for 9-inch crust
- A quick, and healthy, crust for all of your pies - no matter the occasion. This whole-grain crust will add texture and color to your favorite pies without losing the taste you love.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, finely ground
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons very cold water
Combine flour, ground oats, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with water; blend together with a fork until mixture holds together.
Shape dough into ball; place on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn edge under; crimp as desired.