Pies & Tarts
Gluten-Free Pie Crust with LIBBY’S® Famous Pumpkin Pie Filling
16 servings or two 9-inch deep-dish pies
- Now you can enjoy the same great taste of LIBBY’S® Famous Pumpkin Pie with a gluten-free crust. This flaky and light pie crust will be a welcomed addition to those who have adopted a gluten-free lifestyle. This “gluten free” recipe was developed using products either labeled as “gluten-free” or likely to be gluten free based on the ingredients typically listed on the products’ labels. Nevertheless, we cannot guarantee that any non-Nestlé product in this recipe is gluten free. We recommend reading all product labels thoroughly, checking with the food’s manufacturer for gluten content if the product is not labeled as “gluten free,” and being careful to keep gluten-containing ingredients away from the recipe ingredients and recipe preparation area.
100% PURE PUMPKIN
LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin 15 oz
NET WT 15 oz (425 g)
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (29 ounces) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Whipped cream or topping (optional)
Combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Form well in center. Add 1 egg and vinegar; stir gently with a fork until just blended. Sprinkle with water; blend together with a fork and clean hands until mixture just holds together and forms a ball. (Be careful not to add too much water as dough will be hard to roll.)
Shape dough into ball and divide in half. Cover one half with plastic wrap; set aside. Place remaining half on lightly floured (use rice flour) sheet of wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn edge under; crimp as desired. Repeat with remaining half.
Mix sugar, remaining teaspoon salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat 4 eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Pour into pie shells.
Bake in preheated 425° F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream or topping before serving.