Pies & Tarts
Beef & Pumpkin Shepherd's Pie
8 servings, about 3/4 cup per serving
In this Beef & Pumpkin Shepherd's Pie, the traditional dish gets a pumpkin make-over! This beloved recipe has added the delicious taste and nutritional value of pumpkin, making it a hearty and nourishing dinner that's perfect for weeknights in.
100% PURE PUMPKIN
LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin 15 oz
NET WT 15 oz (425 g)
- 1 large russet potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin, divided
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Place potato chunks in medium saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to saucepan; add 1 cup pumpkin, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Cover.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until carrots begin to soften. Stir in beef, flour, garlic powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in broth, remaining pumpkin and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly.
Spoon beef mixture into ungreased 9-inch deep-dish pie dish or other broiler-proof casserole dish (1 1/2- to 2-quart). Spoon pumpkin-potato mixture evenly over beef filling, spreading gently. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.