Puddings & Flans
Warm Cherry Bread Pudding with Chocolate Sauce
- Bread pudding - the perfect comfort dessert after a cozy meal. The evaporated milk adds a wonderful and delicious caramelized flavor to the bread pudding.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®
Morsels and Baking Ingredients
NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels 12 oz
NET WT 12 oz (340 g)
- 18 1/2-inch slices (1 pound loaf) Challah or other egg bread
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried cherries (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease six 6-ounce ramekins.
Use a 2 1/2-inch-round cookie cutter or glass to cut circles in bread slices (save remnants for another use). Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
Combine 1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated milk, water and sugar in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Whisk eggs in large bowl. Gradually whisk warm milk mixture into eggs. Stir in rum and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
Place prepared ramekins on baking sheet. Place one bread round in each ramekin. Top with level tablespoon of cherries. Repeat layers, then top each ramekin with a third bread round. Divide custard mixture among ramekins. Let stand for 30 minutes, pressing down on bread occasionally.
Bake for 25 to 27 minutes or until tops are puffed and brown. (Puddings will rise over edge of ramekin but shrink slightly on cooling.) Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
Combine morsels and 2/3 cup evaporated milk in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until morsels are melted. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Makes about 1 cup. Spoon over Warm Cherry Bread Pudding and serve. Store any remaining sauce tightly covered in refrigerator.