Traditional Chilean Corn & Chicken Pie
Traditional Chilean Corn & Chicken Pie is one of Chile's favorites. Bake it, then sprinkle the top layer with sugar and broil it for a touch of sweetness.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 (about 3 1/2 pounds) large whole chicken
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 whole cloves (put one clove in each quarter of onion)
- 4 to 6 black peppercorns
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into pieces
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water, (plus water to cover chicken in large pot)
- 4 cans (15 1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn (about 6 cups), drained, divided
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, divided
- 1/4 cup yellow corn meal, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch (if slightly drier crust is desired), optional
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (about 2 medium) chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Place chicken, quartered onion, carrot, celery, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns in large pot. Cover chicken with water reserving 1 cup of water for later. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer; cook until chicken is tender and completely cooked, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Strain stock into another pot or large bowls; set aside to cool. Remove layer of fat. Reserve stock for another use. Reserve onion pieces with cloves removed. Shred chicken (removing all meat from bones); set aside. Makes about 4 cups shredded chicken.
Preheat oven to 375º F.
Transfer half of reserved onion pieces cooked with chicken to blender container. Add half of corn kernels, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, 2 tablespoons corn meal and cornstarch; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture into large bowl. Repeat with remaining onion, corn kernels, evaporated milk and corn meal. Add to mixture in large bowl; stir to blend batches.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add basil, stirring about 1 minute to flavor oil. Add corn batter; cook, stirring constantly, until blended and thickened (about 10 minutes). Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and remaining 1 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and onion is soft (about 10 minutes). Add shredded chicken, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, hot sauce, olives, raisins and eggs. Season with remaining salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes to blend.
Spread chicken mixture in the bottom of a large casserole (about 4 quarts or deep 13 x 9-inch baking dish) or smaller ovenproof dishes. Spread corn mixture on top, sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Brown under broiler for about 2 minutes or until sugar is lightly caramelized or browned. Serve hot.