Pear Clafoutis with Cardamom Custard Sauce
- The spice in the creamy smooth custard sauce makes this an irresistible dessert for cardamom lovers. Best when served fresh out of the oven, this clafoutis is versatile enough for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Preheat oven to 450º F.
Melt butter in 9-inch deep-dish pie plate in oven for 2 minutes or until melted; remove from oven. Carefully swirl melted butter around bottom and sides to coat.
Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom in small bowl; set aside. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Whisk 3/4 cup evaporated milk and eggs in separate small bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture; whisk for 30 seconds until smooth. Pour batter onto melted butter in hot pie plate. Push pear slices gently into batter, forming a pinwheel. Sprinkle with sugar-cardamom mixture.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Heat remaining evaporated milk, egg yolks, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon cardamom in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce coats back of spoon. Do not boil. Makes about 1 cup. Spoon sauce over warm Pear Clafoutis and serve.