Dessert French Toast with Fresh Berries and Cinnamon Vanilla Sauce
Dessert French Toast with Fresh Berries and Cinnamon Vanilla Sauce transforms a breakfast item into a dessert lover's dream.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 1 loaf French bread (baguette)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pint fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries and/or blackberries)
- Powdered sugar, vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream (optional)
Whist together eggs, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, butter, 1 tablespoon sugar, ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and salt in a medium bowl. Slice 8 pieces of bread 1-inch thick on the diagonal to 6-inch lengths. Place bread in a flat-bottomed shallow dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and turn bread to coat evenly. Let soak for 2 minutes. Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 slices of the bread and cook on each side until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining bread.
Combine remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon sticks in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in remaining cup evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and slightly thickens. Remove from heat and remove cinnamon sticks; stir in remaining teaspoon vanilla extract.
Place 2 slices of French toast on 4 warm plates. Arrange berries on top of each slice; spoon sauce over berries. Garnish with cinnamon, powdered sugar, ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately.