- Chewy and sweet, dates make a wonderful filling for these bars with a tasty oatmeal crust. A touch of cinnamon is all it takes to transform these simple treats into a heavenly delight.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease 8-inch-square baking pan.
Combine dates, evaporated milk, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in medium saucepan. Cook, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
Beat butter and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. With floured fingers, press half of crust mixture onto bottom of prepared baking pan. Spread date filling over crust. Top with remaining crust.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.