Curry Brown Rice Bake with Vegetables
24 servings, 1/2 cup each
- A curry-flavored creamy medley of vegetables and brown rice makes a unique and tasty side dish that pairs perfectly with chicken, beef or pork main courses.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 4 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot medley, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice; return water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Add vegetables to rice; stir well. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
Melt butter in medium, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add flour, sugar, curry powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in evaporated milk; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Pour sauce over rice mixture; gently stir well to combine. Cover tightly with foil.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven; fluff with fork.
For Milk Chocolate Fudge
Substitute 1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.