Creamy Light Pasta with Salmon, Asparagus and Dill
5 to 6 servings
- This creamy light pasta is not only light in calories, but also light in feel. Lowfat evaporated milk with rich chicken broth, flavored with garlic and Parmesan, and thickened with a little butter and flour to produce a full-bodied sauce. If you buy a whole side of salmon, cut it into fillets, reserving the thin tail end for pasta dishes like this one.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound dried pasta
- 3 cups asparagus, tough ends snapped, spears cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for sprinkling
- 12 ounces salmon, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Bring 2 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large soup kettle. Add pasta and, using the time given on the package as a guide, cook, partially covered and stirring frequently at first to prevent sticking, until just tender. Add asparagus during last 5 minutes of cooking.
Meanwhile, microwave broth, evaporated milk, and garlic in a 1-quart Pyrex measuring cup or small microwave-safe bowl until steamy hot, 3 to 4 minutes; let stand for a couple of minutes.
Place butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over low heat. When butter melts, whisk in flour, then hot milk mixture all at once, whisking constantly until sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan, salmon, lemon zest and dill. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. (Salmon will flake into bite-sized pieces as it cooks.)
Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Pour cream sauce over pasta, adding enough reserve cooking liquid to moisten. Toss and serve immediately with a light sprinkling of Parmesan.