Cola de Mono: Traditional Chilean Holiday Beverage
10 servings (about 2 3/4 cups)
- The literal translation of Cola de Mono is “monkey’s tail.” While the exact origin of this unusual title is unknown, one theory is that this potent Christmas drink will have you swinging like a monkey! Another story links the name to former Chilean President, Pedro Montt. Whatever its origins, you’ll enjoy toasting family and friends at the holidays—or any time of year—with this creamy creation.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or to taste
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon NESCAFÉ CLÁSICO 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Chilean aguardiente, white rum, brandy or vodka
Combine evaporated milk, water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon stick in medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Add coffee granules; stir to dissolve. Add vanilla extract and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Cool 20 minutes. Remove cloves and cinnamon stick. Add brandy. Pour into empty bottle. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
To Serve: Serve in aperitif glasses for a 2-ounce serving. Garnish with cinnamon stick.