At Home Pad Thai with Creamy Peanut Sauce
The flavorful peanut sauce in this variation of a traditional Pad Thai makes a delicious noodle dish that is sure to become a family favorite. Try this recipe when you'd like to serve an exotic and tasty variation for lunch or dinner.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup smooth or chunky peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 ounces dried, thin rice noodles *
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled, deveined or 1 boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups (about 4 ounces) fresh bean sprouts
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (about 3/4 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, divided
Place evaporated milk, peanut butter, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and ginger in blender; cover. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth. Set aside. Makes 1 cup.
Soak rice noodles for 30 minutes in hot tap water; drain. Noodles will be flexible but not soft.
Combine water, sugar, ketchup, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, juice of 1 lime wedge (1 teaspoon) and cayenne pepper in small bowl.
Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until shrimp turns pink. Stir in noodles, stirring quickly to keep from sticking. Pour ketchup mixture over noodles; cook for 2 minutes or until sauce is absorbed, stirring constantly.
Push noodles to side of skillet. Add egg to skillet, stirring until cooked. Stir in bean sprouts, 1/2 cup green onions and 1/4 cup peanuts until mixed. Mound mixture on large serving plate. Pour 1/2 cup peanut sauce down center of noodles and sprinkle with remaining green onions and peanuts. Squeeze 2 lime wedges over noodles and garnish with additional wedges. Serve with remaining peanut sauce.
Serving Suggestion: Serve Peanut Sauce with grilled chicken satays or chicken fingers.
* NOTE: If rice noodles are not available, 8 ounces dried linguine, prepared according to package directions can be substituted.