Pies & Tarts
Lighter LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Pie with Whole-Grain Pie Crust
This delicious and nutritious pumpkin pie is made for those who love pumpkin pie all-year round. A lighter version of Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie filling is complemented by the whole-grain pie crust featured in the best-selling book Superfoods Rx by Dr. Steven Pratt and Kathy Matthews. Now there is no excuse to wait until Thanksgiving to enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie.
100% PURE PUMPKIN
LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin 15 oz
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Fat Free Evaporated Milk 12 oz
- 1 cup whole-wheat or honey graham cracker crumbs (from 8 graham cracker squares)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons canola or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or ground pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- 1 large egg (with high omega-3 content, as noted on label), lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 can (15 ounces) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- Light whipped cream (optional)
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 9-inch pie plate.
Combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, oil, brown sugar, flaxseed, wheat germ, orange peel and 1/2 teaspoon ginger in medium bowl. Add egg; stir until moistened. Gently press mixture onto bottom and up side of prepared pie plate.
Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
Increase oven temperature to 425º F.
Mix granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat egg whites lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Pour into pie crust.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350º F; bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Garnish with light whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate.