Uruguayan Fried Cakes (Donuts)
- A favorite dessert in both Uruguay and Argentina, these scrumptious fried cakes are similar to doughnuts but are shaped more like flat disks with center holes. Made with unsweetened dough, the cakes are usually sprinkled with powdered sugar and spread with Caramelized Milk (Dulce de Leche) or fruit marmalade. Though delicious any time of day, they are usually served in the afternoon with yerba maté or coffee and are a special treat to enjoy on rainy days.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening or butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for floured surface
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Caramelized Milk (Dulce de Leche) or fruit marmalade (optional)
Heat evaporated milk and shortening in small saucepan or in microwave just until shortening is melted. Do not boil.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour warm evaporated milk into well; stir with a wooden spoon until soft dough is formed. Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface; knead until dough is soft and pliable (some drops of water may be needed). Cut dough into 12 equal pieces; roll each piece into a ball. With rolling pin, roll out each ball into a circle about 1/4-inch thick. Shape circles with your hands and with your finger; poke a hole in the center of each circle.
Heat oil in large skillet until temperature of 350º F is reached. Carefully drop 4 dough rings into hot oil. Fry until golden brown in color, about 1 to 2 minutes each side. Remove doughnuts and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough rings. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm with Carmelized Milk (Dulce de Leche), fruit marmalade or plain.
For Milk Chocolate Fudge
Substitute 1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels for Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.