Pork Loin Braised In Milk
- Pork Loin Braised In Milk is marinated and braised Italian style in a slightly curdled evaporated milk mixture flavored with pancetta and herbs. The acidic milk tenderizes the pork and creates a lovely light sauce for serving. Save time by asking your butcher to trim and tie the pork loin for you.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin or pork shoulder
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (3 ounces) pancetta, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup beef broth
Remove all visible fat from pork and tie it into compact bundle with kitchen twine. Place pork into flameproof casserole or Dutch oven that is just large enough to hold it. Combine milk, water and lemon juice medium bowl; pour over pork. Cover; refrigerate for 24 hours, turning meat over every few hours. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove pork from milk mixture; reserve milk mixture. Pat pork dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides. Return pork and pan drippings to milk mixture in casserole.
Stir in garlic, onion, pancetta, bay leaves, thyme, mustard and beef broth; cover. Bake for about 3 hours or until pork is tender. When done, the sauce will be reduced to curds.
To serve, lift pork from dish onto warm serving platter; remove string and keep warm. Skim fat from sauce and remove bay leaves. With slotted spoon, spoon a portion of sauce around pork. Place remaining sauce into gravy or sauceboat.