Overnight Whole-Wheat French Toast with Praline Topping
6 to 8 servings
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 loaf (1 pound) whole-wheat French bread, sliced into 1-inch pieces (10-12 slices total)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cans (12 fluid ounces each) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Powdered sugar and maple syrup (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 3-quart or 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place bread slices on large baking sheet. Bake, flipping bread slices halfway through, for 25 minutes or until dry and just golden. Turn off oven. Cut bread slices in half; layer in prepared baking dish.
Whisk together eggs in large bowl; whisk in evaporated milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Pour over bread, pressing bread to submerge. Spoon some of the mixture between the slices if needed. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Combine butter, brown sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in large bowl; stir until smooth. Stir in pecans until coated. Uncover casserole; sprinkle evenly with pecan topping.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup. Serve immediately.