Dominican Brown Sugar Cake with CARNATION® Frosting
- Covered with creamy Carnation Frosting and decorated with red guava shells, this festive Christmas cake is ideal for any holiday gathering. Canned guava shells may vary in color, so don’t be concerned if some are less brightly colored. For a simple—but still delicious—presentation, omit the frosting and guava shells and dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar just before serving.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 2 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish suggestion: canned guava shells in syrup, drained (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 9-inch (10-cup) tube pan and flour with 3 tablespoons flour.
Sift remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Beat 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add brown sugar gradually and continue beating until light and loose, about 4 to 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with 1 cup evaporated milk. Stir in rum until just mixed. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Invert onto plate.
Beat remaining 1/4 cup butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup evaporated milk and vanilla extract; mix until smooth. Makes 2 cups.
Spread frosting on top and side of cooled cake. Garnish, if desired, with guava shells. Store in refrigerator.