Dairy Free Horchata
3 servings, 1 cup each
- Horchata is a Mexican cold beverage made of milk and rice. This version is made with Carnation® Almond Cooking Milk and rice. The broken rice steeps in the non-dairy milk with a little bit of water, strained and sweetened naturally with dates.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Almond Cooking Milk 11 oz
NET 11 fl oz (325 mL)
- 1 container (11 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Almond Cooking Milk
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 to 7 pitted medjool dates
- Ice, for serving
- Sliced almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- Ground cinnamon, for dusting
Add almond milk, water and rice to blender container. Cover; blend until rice is broken and each grain is about 1/3 of its original size. Add dates and cinnamon stick; stir. Allow to steep for 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
Strain the mixture, discarding the rice and cinnamon stick; reserve the liquid and dates (rinsed lightly). Rinse out the blender base and pour the liquid back into the blender base. Blend on high until the dates are blended smooth into the mixture. Pour the horchata into glasses with ice, dust with ground cinnamon and garnish with chopped almonds. Store refrigerated for up to 3 days.