Puddings & Flans
Costa Rican Pineapple Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
- This scrumptious bread pudding is brimming with tropical flavors associated with Costa Rica. Pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts are baked in a spiced custard and served with a warm, dark rum sauce. Unlike other bread puddings, this dish is baked immediately after assembling.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 18 1/2-inch slices (1 pound loaf) white bread, crusts removed*
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, packed in juice, drained (reserve all juice, about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup toasted, flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Crumble bread into large bowl. Add pineapple, shredded coconut, macadamia nuts and melted butter to bread; mix well. Combine evaporated milk, coconut milk, granulated sugar, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in another large bowl. Add milk mixture to bread mixture. The batter should be moist. Pour into prepared dish.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into servings. Serve with warm Rum Sauce.
Combine dark brown sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir sugar mixture and pineapple juice into butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in rum. Serve warm. Makes 1 cup of Rum Sauce.