Chicken in Hot Pepper Sauce
- This Peruvian-inspired Chicken in Hot Pepper Sauce features shredded chicken bathed in a spicy walnut-cream sauce and has spectacular flavors.
NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk 12 oz
NET 12 fl oz (354 mL)
- 1 (about 3 1/2 pounds) large whole chicken
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 whole cloves (put one clove in each quarter of onion)
- 4 to 6 black peppercorns
- 1 carrot, cut into pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into pieces
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Water (enough to cover chicken)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (about 3 small) finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon palillo or turmeric
- 3 to 4 tablespoons marisol (hot dried yellow) pepper paste or hot peppers, finely chopped
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
- 10 to 12 Peruvian black olives or kalamata olives
- Cooked rice or boiled new or Yukon Gold potatoes
Place chicken, quartered onion, carrot, celery, thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns in large stock pot. Cover chicken with water. Bring to a boil on medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Strain stock into another stockpot or large bowls; set aside to cool. Remove layer of fat. Reserve chicken stock. Shred chicken (removing all meat from the bones); set aside.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add chopped onions and cook until soft and translucent. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, soak the bread in evaporated milk. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for another minute. Stir in palillo and pepper paste until well blended. Add the soaked bread with milk into the skillet, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup of stock*, walnuts, Parmesan cheese and salt, stirring occasionally until blended and sauce thickens (about 10 minutes).
Add shredded meat to sauce; let simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve with rice or boiled new or Yukon gold potatoes. Garnish with sliced eggs and olives.
* Additional stock can be added if a thinner sauce is desired. Freeze remaining stock for another use.